Friday 3 December 2010

The story so far

I  have loved creating things since I was a child.  I usually lack the imagination required to come up with something new and unique; I am more of a copier - I will happily draw something that already exists, or play written music, but if you ask me to produce something entirely from my imagination I will most likely produce nothing at all.

I have flirted with a variety of art and craft techniques, and while I have found some firm favourites and have abandoned others, I find that experiencing one thing usually ends up helping in some way with another thing.  Like everything in life, I suppose.


Pottery was discovered at school, although we were given very little time to explore it.  I always hankered after using the wheel; one day we were treated to watching the teacher throwing a pot, but weren't allowed to have a go ourselves.  I also remember seeing it done on the Generation Game and wishing I could have a go; I even think I remember one of the things they used to put on the television as an interlude or when something had gone wrong being a potter's wheel film, although it has been suggested that I'm not quite old enough for that.

About fifteen years ago I finally got around to going on a pottery evening class, and was instantly addicted.  I was also making bead and wire jewellery, making cards and drawing and painting (although I've always preferred drawing to painting), but there was something about pottery that was so much more attractive.  I would love to say that I was instantly producing things that were wonderful, but to be honest I don't know that even now I can produce anything wonderful, although I am far more pleased with my creations.

After another long break I have now started a City & Guilds course, so I can learn the techniques more methodically and have the satisfaction of working towards a qualification instead of just mucking about doing whatever I feel like.  This means that I will have the challenge of getting to know about things like decoration, glazing and firing, which I have hitherto either avoided or simply know nothing about.  It's all rather exciting, I've been away from the world of education for many years and I'm enjoying being back.

No comments:

Post a Comment